So just in time for the public release of Outlook for the Mac this is the update that will make Outlook and OmniFocus play nice with each other. It is an update to the version for Entourage (here). In addition to preventing the nasty error dialog that came up if you used the old script, this will now also process the email content which prevents HTML tags from showing up in your task description in OmniFocus. However, this comes at a price, you have to install a couple of commandline perl tools.
I have released a new version. Please use that one from now on.
Outlook to OmniFocus take 2
I have now created a packaged version of the script which does not require you do go through all the trouble with installing tons of dependencies. The downside is that the script file is rather large (15MB). If you dont mind this, it is definitely the easier install.
Download the new script from here SendOutlookToOmniFocus-v2.
Install instructions (updated 2010-10-29):
1. Copy the contents of the zip file to <userhome>/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Outlook Script Menu Items (you can do this even easier by opening Outlook, selecting the script menu item „About this menu…“ and then click „Open Folder“.
2. Go to terminal into the previously mentioned folder and perform
chmod a+x decoder
For the non terminal warriors (level 75): that means you open terminal and then type
cd Doc (hit the tab key)/Micro(hit the tab key)/Outl(hit the tab key)
the terminal will complete this automatically as you hit tab, so you should then see
cd Documents/Microsoft User Data/Outlook Script Menu Items/
then hit enter and type
chmod a+x decoder
then hit enter again, and you are done.
Old outdated info from last time round:
This might not be for the faint of heart but with a nice time machine backup in your back pocket, what can go wrong, eh?
Installation instructions (out of date)
1. I only tested this with Snow Leopard, so if you are using something older, your mileage may vary
2. open Terminal and type in the following
(you will be prompted for your password)
cpan YAML MIME::Parser
Now you will be asked a ton of questions, I always take the default answer by hitting the Enter key. This will seriously take a couple of minutes (sorry, perl wants to download half of the internet in order to satisfy a single dependency).
3. You can close terminal now
3. Almost done, now copy the contents of the zip file to <userhome>/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Outlook Script Menu Items (you can do this even easier by opening Outlook, selecting the script menu item „About this menu…“ and then click „Open Folder“.
4. now you should be good to go.
In case something goes horribly wrong
I obviously dont hope that it does, but please open console and watch for suspicious messages. Typically this will give you some idea.
Also it might be useful to try and run the script manually and see if it reports issues. You can do this by opening Terminal, navigating to the script menu folder (cd ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Outlook Script Menu Items) and then executing
If this returns some errors then you have done something wrong, re-read the install instructions and try and be extra careful when you repeat them.
This program wants to read from the standard input, since you dont really have anything right now, you can hit Ctrl-C now.
Download the file here: SendOutlookToOmniFocus.