I started working on an Android GTD App that will be compatible/similar to OmniFocus for iPhone. The ultimate goal is that it will behave roughly like the todays iPhone version of the app.
Note that this app is in no way connected with OmniGroup at all. It is solely my personal endeavor. I am planning to sell this application on the Google Play Store once it is ready. I have checked with Omni and they didn’t seem to have anything against that approach.
However, until the app is anywhere near there it will be a long way to go still.
This whole project stemmed from an experiment that I embarked on when I got my Nexus 4. While still a die hard iPhone user, I tried to get by with just the Nexus 4 for a couple of weeks. And I really started to miss OmniFocus.
Dont get me wrong, there are *tons* of great todo applications for Android out there, but I haven’t found any that had an even remotely as capable Mac OS desktop client like OmniFocus (if you happen to know one then I would be very interested).
I am not sure what to call the apps current status. Its so far before alpha that I dont know of any term. In fact all it really does right now is download and parse all the sync data that is on a defined WebDAV share (i.e. OmniSync Server).
You can browse the synched data on the phone but there aren’t really any screens for the task details yet.
There are 2 major things that I plan to work on next:
Synching back to the server (this will take a couple of weeks due to my limited time I can devote to the project)
Improve the screens to show and edit the tasks in the database.
Made it clear that the App is neither called OmniFocus for Android nor affiliated with OmniGroup
If you are developing Java on a Mac, chances are pretty high that you are using Eclipse for development. In addition you probably (or at least you better) have lots of RAM too, however, Eclipse is a bit conservative when allocating RAM. If you have tons of plugins installed, or the plugins are quite heavy (Android SDK, I am looking at you), then you can easily get in low memory situations.
The way to change the max amount of memory reserved for eclipse is somewhat buried and not trivial to find (unless you ask Google). The way to do it is to go into the eclipse folder, right click on Eclipse.app and then select “Show Package Contents”. Inside look for the eclipse.ini file (if you are running windows you can skip this step).
I just wanted to recommend Hudson to anyone who is in development (primarily Java) and uses continuous integration for their process. In my company we have been using various products from freeware to commercialware in the past. Recently I stumbled upon Hudson and was seriously impressed by it. It supports SVN, CVS out of the box and can run shell builds, ant builds and a few others right out of the box.
It supports plugins for a lot of other projects (FindBugs, PMD, Emma code coverage, checkstyle, Ruby, …) and is an awesome tool to monitor and improve the quality of your software. The most useful feature is that it can aggregate all results and present them in a timeline (trend). So you can see how your unit test code coverage has changed over time, …
The screenshot above illustrates some of the graphs and analysis that hudson can produce. I know that I have previously focused on mainly Mac projects but this one obviously also runs on a Mac, I use it at work and best of all: its open source!
For people who develop j2me applications on a regular basis this nifty tool might be able to be very useful. It basically is an ant task that can deploy a j2me application via bluetooth automatically. I am usually a little more conservative (and we do build multiple configurations where I keep switching between those) and I simply use Finder (select the JAD/JAR) and hit Apple-Shift-B.
This Blog entry has
a nice description of what is necessary to get J2ME app development on
MacOSX going including antenna support. I figured out most of the stuff
myself before I stumbled over this post (grr).
To get the WTK recognized by eclipse, you need to try and lauch
<wtk-root>/bin/ktoolbar. This will fail since a folder called Mac
is missing. Just rename the existing Linux folder (in the specified
directory) to Mac and this should work. After this EclipseME will be
able to import the WTK as a device profile which you can then use to
build your project.
To debug you can then use MicroEmu in eclipse (as a standard java app rather than using EclipseME)