This is the 11th installment of my little OmniFocus script which will turn Emails into tasks. This version has only been tested with the release version of OmniFocus2. It will most likely not work with OmniFocus 1. For OF1 please use the latest version here.
- I have created an updated version of the script as recommended by Adam (thanks a lot @Adam).
- Please give me feedback if this fixes your problems. On my system v10 works just as well.
- fix for empty subject lines (provided by Paul and Peter)
- added mail headers (from, date) to content of the note (provided by Paul)
- does not rely on a separate jar tool anymore and should therefore be more compatible with older Mac OS versions. (courtesy of someone on the omnifocus forums whos name I forgot unfortunately)
- configuration options
- delete mail after turning it to an omnifocus task
- target mail folder for moving the processed mail (note that this does not work in combination with mail deletion, please choose either delete or move)
- bring omnifocus to the front
- put cursor into a specific field in the quick entry panel
- open quick entry panel (or just add the task silently to inbox)
- Double click the zip file to extract it
- Copy the contents of the zip file to <userhome>/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Outlook Script Menu Items (you can do this even easier by opening Outlook, selecting the script menu item “About this menu…” and then click “Open Folder”. Update: on the latest version of Outlook this location is now <userhome>(Library/Applications Support/Microsoft/Office/Outlook Script Menu Items (thanks Mike for noting that)
- that’s it
Note to non-english office users:
Your Outlook Script Menu Items folder is in a different location. Please go the route via „About this menu“ explained in point 2!
- select a mail in outlook
- open the script menu and choose ”Send Outlook to Omnifocus” (see screenshot) or alternatively just press CTRL+O (o, not zero)
So if you want to tweak the settings of the script, bring up the file in the outlook menu items folder and double click it.
This will open AppleScript editor (if it does not, then you can try right click and choose Open with…). In applescript editor you will see a configuration block on the top of the file. Change the values as documented in the script, save it and you should be fine.
Note that a few settings rely on other settings to be configured (i.e. currently omnifocus activation will only be invoked if the quick entry panel is switched on). If you find those restrictions too cumbersome, let me know and I will look into that.
Q: When I click on the email in Omnifocus2 then TextEdit (or some other mail program) opens, what should I do?
The problem is that the script will save the file with a „.elm“ file extension. Most often this extension is not registered with Outlook. So once TextEdit opens, copy the file to your desktop. Then Open the Info Panel (CMD-I) and then choose „Open With…“ -> Outlook. Finally click „Change all..“.
Q: I am getting weird errors (Omnifocus got an error: Can’t get <FCDo>). Whats wrong?
Looks like you have the standard version of Omnifocus2. In order for applescript to work you need the pro version.